Monday, July 21, 2014

Locks and More Locks

I knew that there would be some locks, but I had no idea  I would get so excited about them. We went through two locks on Monday -- both different -- and now I have discovered a map and schedule of locks, and I am planning my schedule around them. Get ready to watch me obsess about something new. Spinning and Locks. This is that I will remember about Russia, I fear. Oh yeah, there was the Hermitage. 

We are heading upstream, so the locks fill up for us. The first lock was very big, with 'doors' that opened out .

The second lock seemed to be narrow, and in fact, my side of the boat was about 3 feet away from the walls. 
   
We approach the closed gates, with the water at the low mark. Watch the towers on either side.



The lock has filled with water, the gates are opening and soon we will be on our way. Note the tower on the left. See the difference in water level? 


No comments: